Saturday, May 19, 2018

Finishing Touches


Well, we had to take a break for about a week.  It turns out that wood of the type that I have been using carries a lot of pathogens and can be somewhat dangerous if you don't handle it properly. In particular, if you are not careful with the sawdust you can ingest those pathogens by breathing them in and create a lot of problems for yourself.  I was cutting some fairly wet wood and inhaled a lot of the pathogen infested dust and I came down with a fairly nasty cold.  My wife got some sawdust in her eye and came down with conjunctivitis at about the same time.  We are both back on our feet and progress on finishing the treehouse now continues.

I spent time making the door for the treehouse. I have used cedar. I have installed it into the doorway, but have not stained it yet.  I have also put down a layer of tar paper on the floor in the treehouse to prevent moisture from entering from below the floor I am going to install.  The floor I have chosen is a vinyl snap together floor plank system which is waterproof.  I am a bit concerned about how much the vinyl flooring weighs.  Before I actually install the vinyl I have installed a very thin layer of plywood to make sure the subsurface is level.  I expect to put down the vinyl tomorrow.  After the vinyl the only remaining item will be the baseboards around the flooring.  I still have the staining and the latch of the door and the final electrical fixture work to complete.  We are very close to completion of phase one of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment